- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced, or 1 tablespoon dried garlic or garlic powder
- 1/4 cup of anything from the onion family, diced, or 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cups any available rice
- 1 bottle of water
- 1 - 2 chicken bullion cubes
- 1/2 cup any available canned peas, carrots, beans, corn and/or raisins
- Tabasco sauce, or any other hot sauce, to taste
- Substitute any missing ingredients with whatever you can find in your pantry, or anything you can trade your neighbors for. If necessary, barter with items from your emergency kit
- Heat oil in a pot over any handy flame. If you have fresh garlic and/or onions, cook them first for about 3 minutes, or until the first hint of gold color appears. If you are using dried garlic and onions, simply stir them in the oil for 15 seconds.
- Add red pepper flakes, cumin, thyme and paprika. Stir for 30 seconds to release the flavors.
- Add rice and stir thoroughly for 30 seconds
- Add 4 cups of water, bullion cubes, canned veggies and/or raisins. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Serve immediately with hot sauce
Le Secret: Stockpile raisins. They add a sweetness that makes the dish.
The Adventure Club: Invite some neighbors you have never spoken to.
Note: More is better. Add everything you can scavenge.