- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves, minced
- 1 lemon, zested
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. When butter is fully melted, remove from heat and let stand for 3 minutes. The butter should settle into three layers: a frothy top, a clear yellow middle and a milky bottom.
- Begin by skimming or spooning the froth off the top. Then carefully and slowly pour out the clear middle layer into a bowl while retaining all of the white sediment in the pan. Discard the froth and solids. If necessary, repeat the skimming process on the remaining butter in the bowl.
- Add the tarragon, lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice to the warm butter.
- Transfer the butter to a warmed dipping bowl.