- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- List item 3
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (no sugar) or nutmeg (but not both)
- 4 slices of whole wheat, multi-grain or nut bread, sliced to the same thickness as conventional white bread. Avoid pumpernickel and other heavy breads
- 2 ripe bananas, 1 peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices; use the second, skin on, as a garnish
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- Beat eggs, milk and half of the cinnamon or nutmeg in a shallow bowl.
- Soak bread slices in egg mixture until completely soggy.
- Take one slice of bread, cover with banana slices, and then cover with a second slice of bread (like a drippy banana sandwich).
- In a sauté pan, over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Add "sandwich." Cover pan with lid. Cook until well browned on both sides and cooked throughout (approximately 4 minutes on the first side and 3 minutes on the second side). Make an incision in the middle to test for doneness. If the outside is finished but the inside is still runny, reduce heat to medium-low and cover for a couple more minutes.
- Remove "sandwich" from pan and place on warmed serving plates. Remove pan from burner and immediately pour maple syrup into hot pan for 15 seconds. Syrup will bubble slightly in the pan.
- Pour syrup over "sandwich."
- Garnish: Place three 1/4-inch slices of banana, in its skin, side by side around the edge of the plate. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon or nutmeg.