- 4 ounces, gin or vodka
- 0 - 1 ounce dry vermouth
- pimento-stuffed olives and lemon twists.
- Chill martini glasses in the freezer, or simply fill with ice cubes and water, and let rest for 1 minute.
- Fill a martini shaker or any large tumbler with ice. Add gin or vodka and vermouth, and shake for 15 seconds. Some people prefer their martini stirred instead of shaken, so as not to "bruise" the gin. It is polite to humor your guest by obliging this request, but impolite to suggest a game of pick-the-bruised-gin-from-the-line-up.
- Strain liquid into martini glass and garnish with an olive or lemon twist.
- Repeat entire procedure as necessary.