(Makes 1 loaf or 12 muffins)
- 1 cup cornmeal (coarsely ground, if available)
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup buttermilk or regular whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kernels cut from 2 ears fresh corn, or 1 cup thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chili, seeds and membranes removed, minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, seeds and membranes removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup lightly packed, fresh cilantro leaves (stems removed before measuring), coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix the first 5 ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the honey, buttermilk, eggs and oil.
- Slowly stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, blending well.
- Blend in the corn, chili, bell pepper and cilantro leaves.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 8-by-4-inch loaf pan, or a tray of muffin cups. Bake the loaf for 25 to 30 minutes, the muffins for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Adventure Club: Before adding the corn kernels to the mixture, sauté them in 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until they begin to brown. This caramelizes the corn, giving it a sweeter, richer flavor.