For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 large tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1 ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 water
- 6 hot dog buns
- 6 good-quality hot dogs
- Finely diced onion and tomato for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the ground beef to the pan. Break it up with a spoon or spatula; cook, stirring, until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the tomatoes, curry powder and cayenne; mix thoroughly with the meat.
- Add the ketchup and water, mix thoroughly with the meat and simmer, over low heat, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are dissolved and the flavors are blended.
To complete the dish:
- Toast the buns and heat the hot dogs in the manner of your preference.
- Spoon some of the sauce inside a toasted bun, top with a hot dog and diced onion and tomato if desired, and enjoy.