Start with your choice of the following ingredients:
- 1 large bunch of fresh rosemary
- 1 large bunch of fresh thyme
- 4 raw garlic cloves, peeled and crushed with the flat edge of a knife
- 8 roasted garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 handful of small dried peppers
- 1 liter of robust olive oil (but nothing over $10 since the delicate flavor will be overwhelmed by the herbs and spices).
- Stuff all of the flavoring ingredients into a large jar and pour the olive oil over top. Make sure that the oil covers all of the herbs, or mold will form. Cover tightly with a lid and allow jar to sit at room temperature, or in a sunny spot in your kitchen, for a week. Then strain out the debris and return the oil to its original bottle, or another more decorative one. If you like, add a few sprigs of fresh rosemary to dress it up.