Serves two as a meal (with wild rice), or four as a vegetable side dish
- 1 medium potato (any kind), skin on, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 to 1 head of garlic, cloves separated and skins removed
- 2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot and/or parsnip, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 6 Brussels sprouts
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (ideally a robust "green" oil)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips
- 1/2 cup Calamata olives (pitted)
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary or thyme, stems removed
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450° F and prepare vegetables.
- In a large roasting pan (or similar facsimile) add potato, garlic, shallots, carrots and Brussels sprouts.
- Add olive oil and salt, and toss thoroughly.
- Roast in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add bell pepper, olives, fresh herbs and black pepper. Toss and return to oven.
- Cook for 30 to 45 minutes longer (turning once or twice), or until vegetables are nicely browned — but not charred. Serve immediately.