Roasted winter vegetables with rosemary and calamata olives recipe
July 7, 2010 7:07AM (UTC)
Serves two as a meal (with wild rice), or four as a vegetable side dish
- 1 medium potato (any kind), skin on, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 to 1 head of garlic, cloves separated and skins removed
- 2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot and/or parsnip, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 6 Brussels sprouts
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (ideally a robust "green" oil)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips
- 1/2 cup Calamata olives (pitted)
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary or thyme, stems removed
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450° F and prepare vegetables.
- In a large roasting pan (or similar facsimile) add potato, garlic, shallots, carrots and Brussels sprouts.
- Add olive oil and salt, and toss thoroughly.
- Roast in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add bell pepper, olives, fresh herbs and black pepper. Toss and return to oven.
- Cook for 30 to 45 minutes longer (turning once or twice), or until vegetables are nicely browned — but not charred. Serve immediately.
Bob Blumer (aka the Surreal Gourmet) hosts his own program on the Food Channel.
Gourmet's Web Site is located at http://surrealgourmet.com.
Related Topics ------------------------------------------
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR
Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address
Why Trump's "30 Hours" special matters
OK, Democrats: Enough is enough
"Game of Thrones" end was nearly perfect
"The Hot Zone" has viral potential
Trump, Barr won't ban torture of girls
Deutsche Bank hands over Trump records
Dems demand probe of Kentucky investment
On the road to lockups for miscarriages