- 4-5 Japanese eggplants, peeled in stripes
- 2 Cubanelle peppers
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes
- ½ pound lean ground veal or beef
- 6-8 sprigs fresh parsley
- ½ cup olive oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for cooking
- salt, pepper -- to taste
- Cut eggplants in quarters lengthwise. Cut each quarter into 3-inch pieces. Seed and cut peppers into same-size pieces, and set aside. Chop onion, parsley and tomatoes, set aside.
- In very hot oil, fry the eggplants quickly until they turn slightly golden but are not cooked. Remove and place on paper towels to soak up the extra oil. Set aside.
- In 2 tablespoons of oil, sauté onions until transparent, add green peppers and continue cooking for a minute. Add tomatoes, parsley and salt. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add minced meat, breaking into pieces to avoid large chunks, and season with salt and pepper. Transfer prepared eggplants on top, cover, bring up to a boil, and turn down to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes before serving, stir gently and spoon into dishes.