- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 Poblano chili
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 shallots
- 1 leek, white and pale green section only
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Roast the red and poblano peppers whole over a charcoal flame or under a broiler, turning until entirely blackened. Remove from the grill and immediately place in a paper bag, seal and let sit for 3 minutes. Peel off the charred skin and discard. Slice the peeled peppers open and discard the membranes and seeds.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, heat the butter and add the shallots and leek. Cook for about 6 minutes, or until the shallots and leeks are translucent, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock and thyme. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. (Adjust heat as required to simmer.)
- Remove from heat and let cool. In a food processor or blender, add the stock, red peppers, poblano chili, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Before serving, reheat sauce in a saucepan and stir in cream.