July 13, 2010 5:01AM (UTC)
- 1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter (12 tablespoons)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 ½ cups cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Knead on a floured work surface until the dough is smooth.
- Chill for 2 hours, then roll out into ¼-inch thickness.
- Cut dough into 2 dozen 2-inch rounds.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 300 °F oven for 15-20 minutes, until just slightly golden.
- Allow to cool completely on a rack before assembling into alfajores.
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR
Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address