Serves about 4 as a main course, or 6 as an appetizer or side.
- 2 pounds tomatoes (preferably homegrown or at the least vine-ripened)
- 5 cups cubed watermelon
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed from cob (or about 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed)
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, and poached in salted water
- For soup, core and quarter tomatoes. Place in food processor with 4 cups watermelon, basil, olive oil, vinegar and garlic, and process until smooth (may need to do in batches). Place a sieve over a large bowl and pass mixture through sieve, pressing gently. Discard solids. Season liquid with salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate overnight. Refrigerate zucchini, corn and shrimp separately.
- To serve, divide soup into bowls and top with remaining watermelon, zucchini, corn and shrimp, and garnish with basil.