- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon asafetida
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, crushed and minced
- 1 pound baby potatoes (smallest you can find), washed and scrubbed (skins kept on)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon red chile powder
- 2 tablespoons amchur (dried mango powder)
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, torn
- Heat oil in a large wok or deep pan. Add cumin seeds, asafetida and turmeric. When the spices start sputtering, add half the ginger.
- Add the scrubbed potatoes, sprinkle with salt, stir and cover the wok. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Let it cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Once the potatoes become tender (pierce with a fork to check), add the coriander, remaining ginger, garam masala, chile powder and amchur.
- Mix well and cover again for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and finally add the cilantro leaves and mix well.