- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 small hot green chile, chopped
- About 1 pound of a pumpkin (probably about half a small pumpkin), peeled, seeded and cubed
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon amchur (dried mango powder)
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, toss in the fenugreek seeds. They will soon start to sputter and change color. Then, add the asafetida and green chile and sauté for a little less than a minute. (Be careful not to burn the fenugreek seeds.)
- Now add the pumpkin pieces, coriander, turmeric, sugar and salt. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, and lower the flame. Cover and cook until the pumpkin becomes soft and tender.
- Add the dried mango powder and mix well. Cook on low heat until the water evaporates.
- Serve with whole-wheat roti.