- 4 cups flour (add 1 teaspoon xanthan gum if using gluten free flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest of two lemons (more if you really like lemon)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare two baking sheets with silpats or parchment.
- In a small bowl combine the lemon zest with the sugar and blend with your fingers. Let sit 15 minutes to infuse flavors.
- In medium bowl combine flour (and xanthan gum if using gf flour) baking powder, salt and mix well with a whisk.
- In a big bowl, combine the sugar with the eggs and whisk until incorporated. Add the flavorings. Start to whisk in the flour and change to a wooden spoon midway. Add the almonds and keep stirring. Once mixed, use your hands and turn the dough a few times making sure all the loose flour is incorporated. It will be slightly sticky.
- Drop the dough ball on a floured board and shape into a log. Cut into four even pieces. Roll between your hands into long logs -- or roll them on the silpat. Pat down until they are about ½ inch tall and 2 inches wide. Place two on each baking sheet.
- Let them sit out for about 15 minutes for the dough to develop. Place in oven and immediately turn the temperature to 325. Bake about 40 minutes rotating halfway.
- Cool 15 minutes. Turn oven to 275. Carefully place each log on a cutting board and on the diagonal, using a serrated knife, gently saw into even pieces. Place pieces cut side down on baking sheet and return to the oven. Bake about 30 minutes.
- Cool. Store in a cookie tin.
Bon appétit and happy dunking.