- 2 large green tomatoes, or 3 medium
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk
- 1 tablespoon Crystal hot sauce
- 1 sleeve of Saltine crackers, crushed thoroughly
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper (Nannie used table salt and canned pepper. You can too if you like.)
- Peanut oil for frying
- Sprinkle the flour into a shallow dish. Add salt and pepper to the flour until you can distinctly taste the salt and the pepper.
- In another dish, whisk together the egg and the buttermilk or milk and the hot sauce. In another shallow dish, mix together the crushed crackers and the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Heat about two inches of peanut oil in a large, heavy skillet.
- Slice the green tomatoes into ½-inch slices. Dip the slices first into the flour, coating both sides, tapping off any excess. Next dip into the egg/buttermilk mixture and then into the cracker mixture, coating thoroughly.
- Fry until they are golden brown, turning once or twice. Drain on paper towels. They taste best if they've had a little time to cool, but are still quite warm.
- Serve with homemade buttermilk dressing or remoulade for dipping.