- 2 cups flour (or 2 cups gluten-free flour and a pinch of xanthan gum)
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 ½ ounces shaved bittersweet chocolate (use a small food processor or a grater)
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 16 ounces of semisweet and bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans
- Cream together sugar and butter until blended, and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt in another bowl. Combine milk, vanilla and juice. Alternately add in flour and milk mixture to the butter/sugar/eggs mixture. Mix well. Stir in grated chocolate with a wooden spoon just until incorporated.
- Bake 30 minutes or until cake starts to shrink away from the edges and toothpick comes out clean, but don't overbake. Cool five minutes then flip out of pan onto rack and cool completely.
- Heat cream and corn syrup until small bubbles appear on the edge. Remove from heat and add in chopped chocolate. Stir until completely incorporated.
- Cool for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Pour over the cooled cake (bottom layer first) and let drip down the sides. Add top layer and repeat. Let harden at room temperature.