- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 12 ounces Herkimer cheese, rough grated
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups milk (approximately)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni until firm, al dente, in salted water according to package directions. Strain.
- In a 3-quart oven-proof casserole dish, layer 1/3 of the macaroni, dabs of butter, 1/3 of the grated cheese, salt and pepper. Repeat until you have 3 layers in all. Pour in the milk, until it's an inch below the macaroni. Sprinkle with bread crumbs if you feel fancy.
- Place casserole uncovered in the middle of the oven and bake for about 1 hour, until it's moist, not runny, and with a golden browned top.