- 1 loaf of crusty sourdough bread or ciabatta
- 2 large very ripe tomatoes (any variety except Roma)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 can Italian tuna or anchovies in olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooked cannellini or other white beans
- Your favorite olives, sliced
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Fresh mint and basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Accompaniments: pickled vegetables of your choosing
- Slice bread into 4 sections, then slice each section in half.
- Toast sliced bread lightly.
- Cut tomato into halves.
- Rub each slice of bread with the sliced tomato half.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle on salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste. Stop here if desired.
- If you want to dress it up further, serve on a plate alongside an assortment of the remaining ingredients, or layer into a sandwich.
- Enjoy with a bottle of Chianti or other red wine.