Makes 8 scones
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 tablepoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest (from about 2 navel oranges)
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream (almost a pint)
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips or coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add in orange zest and distribute evenly.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in cream. Mix with a spoon until just combined.
- Add chocolate chips.
- Use hands to incorporate chocolate chips into the dough until you have a smooth ball of dough.
- Flatten dough into a disc about ½ inch thick and place onto a baking sheet. If the dough feels sticky, refrigerate for 5 minutes so it's easier to work with.
- Cut disc of dough into eight wedges. (A pizza cutter makes clean, even cuts.)
- Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Serve warm or cool with orange marmalade.