PG&E launches $100M fund for California blast victims

Company president announces residents of destroyed homes will receive $50,000 to meet day-to-day needs

By Jason Dearen
September 14, 2010 12:19AM (UTC)
main article image

The president of Pacific Gas and Electric Co. says the utility is launching a $100 million fund for victims of last week's gas pipeline explosion.

PG&E president Chris Johns announced Monday in San Bruno that the money was to help victims meet their day-to-day needs and would come with no strings attached.

Advertisement:

Johns says the company had already provided $3 million to help cover the city's expenses in battling and recovering from the blast.

Residents of homes destroyed or badly damaged in the blast were told in a private meeting they would receive $50,000 checks.

Bob Pelligrini, whose home was leveled, says residents were told the checks would not preclude them from taking further legal action against PG&E.

Advertisement:

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

SAN BRUNO, Calif. (AP) -- The president of Pacific Gas and Electric Co. says the utility company is launching a $100 million fund for victims of last week's gas pipeline explosion.

PG&E president Chris Johns announced in San Bruno on Monday that the money was to help victims meet their day-to-day needs and would come with "no strings attached."

Advertisement:

Johns says the company had already given San Bruno's mayor $3 million to help cover the city's own expenses in battling and recovering from the blast.

Residents from homes destroyed or badly damaged in the blast were told in a private meeting Monday that they'd receive $50,000 checks this week.

Advertisement:

Bob Pelligrini, whose home was leveled, says residents were told the checks would not preclude them from taking further legal action against PG&E.


Jason Dearen

MORE FROM Jason Dearen


Related Topics ------------------------------------------

California