Makes 4 ½ pints
- 2 pounds fresh end-of-summer strawberries, washed and hulled
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place washed strawberries into a large, heavy pot and mash with a potato masher.
- Add sugar and lemon juice and stir well.
- Bring to a vigorous boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Continue to boil until thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Once cool, skim any foam from the surface.
- Use ¾ cup to fill the cake.
- Store the remainder in the refrigerator for up to three days, or can for longer storage.