Makes about 4 cups
- 1 pound beets
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups thick Greek-style yogurt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill or mint, or a combination
- Remove greens from beets, and wash and dry unpeeled beets.
- Wrap each beet root in foil, making individual packets. Make sure to leave a little room around each beet and then seal tightly, so that they can steam inside their foil wrappers.
- Place wrapped beets on a baking sheet in a 400 degree oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until just tender. (Check for tenderness with a fork; they should slip into the beets with little, but some resistance. For this recipe, you do not want beets to be too soft or else they will not keep their texture when grated.) Allow to cool for about an hour.
- Peel cooled, roasted beets. The skins should slip off easily by rubbing with your fingers.
- Grate the peeled, roasted beets with the large holes of a box grater. Set aside.
- Mash the garlic with the salt in a mortar and pestle. Add the lemon juice, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir garlic-lemon mixture into the yogurt.
- Add black pepper to taste, and adjust salt.
- Stir in the beets and the dill and/or mint.