Bonuts (Bostock doughnuts)
- 6 Krispy Kreme doughnuts
- Coffee syrup (see recipe below)
- Sweetened softly whipped cream (see below)
- 6 slices crisp-cooked bacon, chopped fine
- Using a bread knife, carve off a thin slice from the bottom of each doughnut (check for air holes; the thin slice is the cook’s treat). Soak each doughnut lightly in the coffee syrup, then place on plate. Put plate in microwave oven and zap for 15 to 30 seconds, just enough to warm up the doughnut. Garnish with whipped cream and bacon bits.
- 2 cups coffee
- ¼ cup sugar
- Place in saucepan and let boil until reduced by half. Let cool to room temperature.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- ½ cup heavy cream, very cold
- 1½ tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a chilled mixing bowl, whip cream until it begins to thicken. Stir in sugar and vanilla and continue beating until soft peaks form. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.