This makes quite a large amount. You may halve this quantity, or make the whole and freeze it until Christmas; a jar of pumpkin butter is a coveted gift.
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1½ teaspoons ginger
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1¼ cups sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin purée
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine apple cider, flavorings and sugar. Stir and let come to a boil. Lower heat and stir in pumpkin purée. Let cool. Place in plastic container and keep in refrigerator.
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch salt
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool.
Pumpkin Bostock with Maple & Ginger
Makes 6 servings
- 1 recipe Maple Glaze
- ½ cup Pumpkin Butter
- 6 slices stale challah bread, 1½ inches thick
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare a sheet pan with foil and a nonstick grid, if you have one. Dip bread slices in maple glaze and squeeze out extra liquid. Place on grid-covered baking sheet.
- Spread each toast with pumpkin butter. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Your kitchen will be unbelievably fragrant at this point.
- Remove toasts from ovens and sprinkle with chopped crystallized ginger. Serve with hot, black coffee.