- 4 cups cubed pumpkin or butternut squash (about 2 squash)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 shallots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1½ tablespoon hot curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil, as needed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and cube the squash, saving seeds.
- Wash squash seeds, dry thoroughly, and roast in a pan with a splash of oil, a little salt and a shake of curry powder, until crisp.
- Toss squash cubes with olive oil to coat, salt to taste, and roast until soft.
- While squash is roasting, sauté shallots and garlic in a splash of oil until fragrant, add curry powder and ginger and stir until you can smell them strongly. Add apple and cook until soft, and reserve.
- When squash is cooked, soft enough to poke through with a fork with no resistance, purée it in a blender. Add the apple mixture, chicken broth, mustard, lemon, salt and pepper, and blend until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Reheat and sprinkle with seeds.