- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup water or brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (any kind that's light)
- ¾ cup confectioner's sugar
- ¼ cup water, coffee or possibly cream sherry
- vanilla or flavoring of choice, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Into 8-inch pan mix together: flour, cocoa, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Make a puddle in the dry mixture and add: oil, vanilla and water or coffee. Stir until smooth.
- Add vinegar and stir until you see even swirls in the batter. The vinegar starts the reaction that helps the cake rise.
- Bake for 24-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Mix together ingredients.
- When cake is ready, invert onto cooling rack. When slightly cooled, place on serving plate, poke holes in the cake with a toothpick and then brush on glaze.