Steam rises from chimneys on Monday, Jan. 24, 2011 in Montpelier, Vt. Bone-chilling cold has prompted schools around the Northeast to delay openings and some canceled classes altogether on Monday. (AP Photo/Toby Talbot) (AP)

Attempt to thaw pipes lights building on fire

New Hampshire homeowner uses torch to defrost pipes in minus 20 temperatures, apartment complex catches fire


John Curran
January 25, 2011 4:31AM (UTC)

In Lebanon, N.H., a homeowner thawing frozen pipes with a torch in the basement set an 11-unit apartment building on fire. It was minus 20 Monday morning when the torch set the fire, which spread quickly. No injuries were reported, but several pets were missing.

Four apartments were severely damaged, two suffered moderate damage, and the remainder of the units had only smoke and water damage.  

Advertisement:

Read more about New England's freezing temperatures

 


John Curran

MORE FROM John Curran

Related Topics ------------------------------------------

Natural Disasters

BROWSE SALON.COM
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR

Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access

Click Here
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address

•••






Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •