Cheese and jalapeno sausage recipe
January 25, 2011 6:30AM (UTC)
- 1 pound 80 lean:20 fat ground pork
- 3 ounces chopped jalapeños
- 5 ounces cubed cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, ground
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, ground
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ cup beer, preferably from Milwaukee
- Mix all ingredients. Stuff into 22mm collagen casing.
- Tie off at 6-inch intervals. Jab casings with a fork to prevent them from breaking (and allow poaching liquid inside).
- Pour two bottles of cold beer into a large pot and add the sausage.
- Set heat to medium low and poach until the temperature of the poaching liquid reaches 170°F.
- Remove sausages and rinse. Chill overnight. Separate them and remove strings. They are fully cooked, but may be grilled at game time.
- Reserve poaching liquid for cooking up some sauerkraut for accompaniment.