- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 sausages, flavor of your choosing (except breakfast sausage), meat removed from casings, if applicable. Otherwise, slice into bite-size chunks
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound kale leaves, washed, center ribs removed, loosely chopped
- 1 12-ounce bottle dark beer (porter, stout or dark ale)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown sausage meat, breaking up with a wooden spoon.
- Remove sausage and add onions and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Toss in garlic and heat until aromatic (do not let garlic burn).
- Add kale; it will fill up the entire pot but will wilt quickly and significantly as you stir. Drizzle in a little more olive oil if necessary.
- Add sausage back to pot, add beer, bring to a boil and turn down heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until kale is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare spaghetti according to package directions until al dente.
- Stir salt, pepper and mustard into kale.
- Stir in freshly grated Parmesan to thicken sauce.
- Toss in pasta and allow it to finish cooking in the sauce. Serve in warmed bowls, garnished with parmesan, salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.