Callaloo recipe (Trinidadian style)
March 1, 2011 6:30AM (UTC)
- 1 pound taro leaves (about 12 leaves, stripped from tough stem), or whole-leaf spinach, roughly chopped
- 8 okra, diced
- 4 chives or two green onions, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habañero pepper, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, stem removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut milk (2 cans)
- ¼ pound salt pork (optional)
- ½ pound lump crabmeat (optional)
- salt, to taste
- Accompaniment: steamed rice (in the Caribbean, parboiled rice such as Uncle Ben's is typical) or roti
- Melt butter in a stock pot and then add all vegetables. Sauté until onions are fragrant and translucent.
- Add broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- If using salt pork, add now.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, until all vegetables are very soft.
- Purée with an immersion blender or in a standard blender. (Remove salt pork first, if used.)
- Return purée to pot. Add salt to taste.
- If using crab, add to soup and bring to a boil. Cook for a few minutes until crabmeat is cooked.
- Serve over hot rice.
Related Topics ------------------------------------------