- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight in water, then drained
- 1 whole head garlic
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel off the outer papery skin of the garlic head. Slice along the top of the bulb (not the root end) to reveal a bit of the cloves.
- Place in a baking pan, drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Place the drained cashews in a food processor. Add the roasted garlic, squeezing out the contents of each clove. Add the remaining ingredients and process until very smooth.
- Serve on whole grain bread or crostini. If serving on crackers, make sure they don't have a lot of salt or seasoning; you want the focus to be on the spread.