- 3 large eggs
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon anise seeds (optional)
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Beat eggs, sugar and oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer until blended. Beat in orange rind and vanilla. Sift flour with baking powder and salt into a bowl. Add to egg mixture. Stir on low speed of mixer just until blended. Stir in almonds on low speed.
- Shape dough into four log-shaped rolls, each about 2 inches wide. Place on baking sheet. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Use spatula to smooth dough and to push again into log shape if it has spread a bit. Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar and pat to make it adhere to sides as well.
- While dough is resting, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Transfer carefully to a board and let stand until cool enough to handle. With a sharp knife, carefully cut into diagonal slices about ½-inch thick; dough will be slightly soft inside. Return slices in one layer to 2 or 3 cleaned baking sheets.
- Bake about 7 minutes per side or until lightly toasted so they are beige and dotted in places with golden brown; side of cookie touching baking sheet will brown first. Watch carefully so cookies don't brown throughout or they will be too hard and dry. Cool on a rack. Keep in airtight containers.