- 2 medium-size potatoes (Yukon Golds work well)
- 1 egg lightly beaten with a splash of buttermilk
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 1 pinch of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- salt to taste
- butter, as needed
- Boil one potato in salted water and mash it into a bowl it fits comfortably. Let cool until warm.
- Sprinkle the flour, baking soda and baking powder on the mashed potato. Grate the other potato onto the mixture. Stir together, and season with salt to taste. Stir in egg and buttermilk.
- Shape into pancakes and fry in butter over medium-high heat, until golden brown and crisp, and grated potato is cooked.