- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, plus 1 yolk, reserving white
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 to 1½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1½ to 2 cups golden or sultana raisins
- Raspberry jam or any kind of preserves
- ¼ cup shredded coconut (optional)
- lemon juice, to taste
- cinnamon, to taste
- sugar, to taste
- 1 egg white (left from dough)
- Combine all dough ingredients, except the reserved egg white, and mix well. You should have a golden citrus-y mixture. Divide dough into six balls and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- Combine ingredients for filling and mix well.
- Working with one dough ball at a time, roll out on a heavily floured board into a 6- to 7-inch square. Spread raisins and jam, sprinkle with filling and roll up jelly-roll style.
- Slice into 1½-inch pieces and brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake on greased cookie sheets 30 to 35 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove from cookie sheets immediately, cool and enjoy. (They freeze well.)