Barley risotto with asparagus and mushrooms recipe
March 29, 2011 4:30AM (UTC)
- 1 pound thickish asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, finely minced (I recommend pulsing in a food processor)
- 8 ounces white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ounces shiitake or maitake (hen of the woods) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cups pearled barley
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 6 cups vegetable broth, more if needed (use a gluten-free variety if you are gluten-sensitive)
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Grated zest of one lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 450. Toss the asparagus with 2 teaspoons oil and roast on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes, or until crisp-tender. When cool, cut diagonally into ½-inch pieces.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Add the shallots and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the barley and cook for one minute. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until it is evaporated.
- Continue to add the broth in half-cup increments, stirring nearly constantly until each addition evaporates. Continue until the barley is tender but chewy, about 40 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. (You will not need salt if you used a commercial broth.)
- Add the asparagus. Combine the parsley, basil, lemon zest and garlic, and add to risotto just before serving.
Related Topics ------------------------------------------
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR
Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address
A horror comic for the Trump era
"Big Little Lies" has lost its spark
Hey, NeverTrumpers: Help or STFU
"Game of Thrones" end was nearly perfect
Trump says he's "a very honest guy"
How Russia manipulated Twitter in 2016
America was never a Christian nation
Trump's mental state is an "emergency"