- 1 bunch pea shoots
- Kosher salt
- 6 sea scallops (optional)
- Lemon zest (optional)
- Peeled garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Place as many peeled pieces of garlic as you wish in a saucepan. Cover with olive oil.
- Simmer on low heat until the garlic is a deep brown. Turn off heat.
- When the oil has cooled, separate garlic cloves and oil with a sieve, reserving both oil and garlic in separate containers.
- Place two tablespoons of garlic oil in a hot pan over medium heat.
- Add a bunch of pea shoots. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Stir just until wilted.
- Toss in a handful of caramelized garlic cloves.
- Serve as a side dish.
To add sea scallops:
- Make sure you have washed the scallops and trimmed the little foot that is usually attached to them. Blot very dry with paper towel.
- Heat a skillet over a medium high flame. Add olive oil and continue heating until pan just begins to smoke.
- Sprinkle each scallop on both sides with salt.
- Place scallops in pan, making sure there is space between each.
- When scallop is a deep brown on one side, quickly turn over, allowing it to barely "kiss" the pan. Remove from heat.
- Place scallops on top of pea shoots and garlic. Zest a little lemon on top of scallops. Serve.