Starburst grapefruit salad recipe
March 29, 2011 4:30AM (UTC)
- 2 grapefruits (Texas Ruby Red preferred), about 26 ounces total
- 1½ cups strawberries, stemmed, halved
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely diced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon grapefruit zest
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, cleaned, cut in bite-size pieces
- Peel and section the grapefruits over a bowl, reserving the juice and sections for the salad and dressing.
- Combine the grapefruit sections and strawberries in a bowl. Toss gently and reserve until needed.
- In a blender, combine the vinegar, sugar, shallot, reserved grapefruit juice, and salt. Process until smooth. (Or whisk together by hand.)
- Slowly drizzle the oil through the hole in the lid while the blender is running and process until the dressing has thickened. (Or whisk into dressing in a slow, steady stream.)
- Remove from the blender and stir in the poppy seeds and grapefruit zest.
- Toss the grapefruit and strawberries with the poppy-seed dressing.
- Arrange spinach on chilled plates. Place the grapefruit sections and strawberries on top. Serve immediately.
Related Topics ------------------------------------------
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR
Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address
"Nickel and Dimed" for the Amazon age
A heartbreak in Hawkins
"Stranger Things" is not an '80s parable
The media's "Made in America" problem
Is Joe Biden the new Hillary?
America was never a Christian nation
Trump isn’t a president, he’s a gangster
Author of GOP tax bill: Who knows?