Egypt Prosecutor: Mubarak Responsible For Killings


Salon Staff
January 5, 2012 5:00PM (UTC)

CAIRO (AP) — The chief prosecutor in the Hosni Mubarak trial says he holds the ousted leader "politically and legally" responsible for the killing of protesters during the 18-day uprising that toppled his regime last year.

Mustafa Suleiman also said in court Thursday that Mubarak did nothing to stop the killings and that he was aware of them from meetings with aides, regional TV channels and reports by his security agencies.

Advertisement:

He said Mubarak's security chief and co-defendant, Habib el-Adly, authorized the use of live ammunition on orders from Mubarak.

Mubarak and el-Adly could face the death penalty if convicted of complicity in the killing of protesters. Facing the same charge are six police commanders on trial alongside the two. Mubarak's sons, Alaa and Gamal, are charged with corruption in the same case.


Salon Staff

MORE FROM Salon Staff



Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •