Officer Shot In Drug Raid Released From Hospital

Published January 8, 2012 9:09PM (EST)

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — One of six officers shot during an Ogden drug raid last week was released from the hospital Sunday, and the condition of another officer has improved.

Weber County sheriff's Sgt. Nate Hutchinson was discharged from McKay-Dee Hospital, and the condition of Ogden Officer Michael Rounkles was upgraded from critical to fair, hospital spokesman Chris Dallin said.

Fellow Ogden officers Kasey Burrell and Shawn Grogan also remained hospitalized Sunday, with Burrell in critical condition and Grogan in fair condition.

Hutchinson's family issued a statement asking for privacy following his release.

"We appreciate all the support of our family," the statement said. "The community support has been amazing."

A funeral service is set for 11 a.m. Wednesday at Ogden's Dee Events Center for Ogden Officer Jared Francom, 30, who was killed while a narcotics strike force served a search warrant at a house in Ogden.

Francom, a seven-year veteran of the department, is survived by his wife, Erin, and two young children.

Matthew Stewart is accused of opening fire after officers knocked on his door and entered the home when they received no response. Stewart remained under guard at a hospital Sunday.

Police have released few details about the shootout, pending an internal investigation and a probe by the Weber County attorney's office.

Phone calls to County Attorney Dee W. Smith's office went unanswered Sunday. He has called the case against Stewart aggravated murder, which can result in the death penalty.

A sixth officer wounded in the shootout, Jason VanderWarf, said it has been "very traumatic for everybody." The Roy officer was released from the hospital Thursday after treatment for a hip wound.

"It will take time to decompress everything," VanderWarf said at a news conference Saturday. "I feel complete devastation that this happened. It is one of those things you always read about and see on the news happening to other departments, not happening to your own."

All Ogden police personnel were given the day off Sunday to help promote healing. The Weber County Sheriff's Department and Utah Highway Patrol will fill in until 6:30 a.m. Monday.

Late last week, Park City philanthropist Tore Steen presented a $25,000 check to Francom's widow and her 3- and 5-year-old daughters, the Deseret News reported.

In 2010, Steen and his wife started a foundation to assist the families of fallen officers by giving them $25,000 so they wouldn't have to worry about immediate expenses.

Steen said Erin Francom seemed stunned when he presented her with the check.

"It was a touching moment for me. I've never done anything like that before," he told the Deseret News.

By Salon Staff

MORE FROM Salon Staff

Related Topics ------------------------------------------