Carbon Monoxide Leak In NY Sends 42 To Hospital


Salon Staff
January 9, 2012 6:27PM (UTC)

KINGS POINT, N.Y. (AP) — Eight of the 42 U.S. Merchant Marine Academy students who were hospitalized after carbon monoxide was found to be leaking at the Long Island facility have returned to the school.

According to Newsday (http://bit.ly/wTAysA0), a North Shore University Hospital spokeswoman said the eight were treated and released, and returned to the Kings Point school Monday morning.

Advertisement:

The conditions of the other students, who were taken to other hospitals, were not immediately known.

Authorities said a water heater was found to be leaking carbon monoxide shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday. The leak was in the Academy's Barry Hall.

The Merchant Marine Academy prepares students for careers in the maritime industry. Its 82-acre campus is on Long Island, about 20 miles east of New York City.

___

Information from: Newsday, http://www.newsday.com


Salon Staff

MORE FROM Salon Staff

BROWSE SALON.COM
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR

Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access

Click Here
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address

•••





Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •