Uruguay Frees Soldiers In Haiti Abuse Trial


Salon Staff
January 10, 2012 6:18AM (UTC)

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Authorities in Uruguay say the criminal case against six U.N. peacekeepers accused of raping a young man in Haiti may have to be shelved because they can't get the alleged victim to testify.

But the man tells The Associated Press that no one has ever asked him to testify.

Advertisement:

The former peacekeepers were freed last week pending a military trial on charges of violating rules including a ban on fraternizing with civilians inside military bases.

Civilian prosecutor Eduardo Fernandez Dovat, meanwhile, says he can't try them on abuse charges without the man's testimony.

But the man tells AP he's perfectly willing to talk, as soon as he's asked. The 19-year-old said in a phone interview Monday: "They know where to find me."


Salon Staff

MORE FROM Salon Staff



Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •