SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador (AP) — El Salvador's government says it has received a formal request from Spain for the extradition of 13 former military officers accused in the 1989 slayings of six Jesuit priests and two other people.
A Spanish court wants to try a total of 15 former officers for the killings during the Central American country's 1980-1992 civil war. Two of the 15 are in the United States.
Five of the priests slain were Spanish. The sixth was Salvadoran.
El Salvador's Supreme Court refused to order the detention of the ex-officers last year because no formal extradition request had been received.
Salvadoran Foreign Minister Hugo Martinez said Thursday the request has been forwarded to the high court for consideration.