AP NewsBreak: Dad Of CA Killings Suspect Homeless


--

Shares

Salon Staff
January 16, 2012 4:09AM (UTC)

YORBA LINDA, Calif. (AP) — The father of the man suspected of killing homeless men in Southern California is himself homeless and says his son last week showed him a picture of one victim as a warning of the danger of being on the streets.

Forty-nine-year-old Refugio Ocampo also told The Associated Press on Sunday that his son came back a changed man after serving with the Marines in Iraq, expressing disillusionment and becoming ever darker as he struggled to find his way as a civilian.

Advertisement:

The father says he lost his job and home, and ended up living under a bridge before finding shelter in the cab of a broken-down big-rig he's helping repair.

His 23-year-old son, Itzcoatl Ocampo, was arrested Friday in connection with the serial killings of homeless men since late December.


Salon Staff

MORE FROM Salon Staff

BROWSE SALON.COM
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR

Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access

Click Here
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address

•••


Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •