MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippine military says communist guerrillas killed about 100 government troops and police and waged 447 attacks last year despite a continuing decline in their decades-long insurgency.
Military spokesman Col. Arnulfo Burgos said Sunday that the attacks by New People's Army guerrillas included 31 assaults on mining firms, banana plantations and other businesses. He said they earned nearly $7 million (300 million pesos) from extortion in 2011.
Burgos said the rebels' reliance on extortion from businesses and even poor villagers reflects a decline in their support from communities.
The Maoist rebels did not immediately comment, but have disputed such military claims in the past as propaganda amid escalating rebel attacks.