Memo Scandal Witness Refuses To Travel To Pakistan


Salon Staff
January 23, 2012 1:09PM (UTC)

ISLAMABAD (AP) — The lawyer for the chief witness in a secret memo scandal that has roiled Pakistan says his client will not travel to the country to testify out of fear of being detained.

Lawyer Akram Sheikh said Monday that Mansoor Ijaz is willing to videotape his testimony and submit it to Pakistan's Supreme Court commission investigating the scandal.

Advertisement:

Ijaz was scheduled to appear before the commission on Tuesday. He has accused the Pakistani government of orchestrating a memo, which he delivered to the U.S. last year, asking Washington for help in stopping a supposed military coup in the wake of the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden.

The Pakistani government has denied any involvement.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

DERA ISMAIL KHAN, Pakistan (AP) — A suspected U.S. drone fired missiles at a house and a vehicle in northwestern Pakistan on Monday, Pakistani intelligence officials said, killing four alleged militants in an attack that could signal the program is picking up steam after strained relations halted strikes late last year.

The U.S. held off on carrying out drone attacks in Pakistan for nearly two months after American airstrikes accidentally killed 24 Pakistani soldiers at two posts along the Afghan border on Nov. 26. The deaths outraged Pakistan, which retaliated by closing its border crossings to supplies meant for NATO troops in Afghanistan and kicking the U.S. out of a base used by American drones.

U.S. drone attacks have been a source of tension between the two countries. Although Pakistan is widely believed to have supported the strikes in the past, that cooperation has become strained as the relationship between the two countries has deteriorated.

Advertisement:

The U.S. halted strikes until Jan. 10, when missiles hit a house in the North Waziristan tribal area in an attack that American officials said killed a key al-Qaida operations planner, Aslam Awan. The U.S. carried out another attack two days later.

Monday's strike in North Waziristan's Deegan village was the third since the attacks resumed. Initial reports indicated the alleged militants killed were foreigners, said Pakistani intelligence officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.

Advertisement:

The U.S. refuses to speak publicly about the CIA-run drone program in Pakistan, but American officials have said privately that the strikes have killed many senior Taliban and al-Qaida commanders.


Salon Staff

MORE FROM Salon Staff



Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •