MANILA, Philippines (AP) — A human-rights group says it has information that Philippine military personnel are thwarting attempts by civilian authorities to capture a former army general accused of kidnapping two student activists.
Retired Maj. Gen. Jovito Palparan has been on the run since he was charged in December with kidnapping the left-wing activists in 2006. They remain missing and he has denied any involvement.
Human Rights Watch said Wednesday that civilian officials told the group that Palparan is being protected by some military personnel and business owners who benefited from his heavy-headed tactics to suppress a long-running communist insurgency.
The military has previously denied such allegations and promised to cooperate.