Calif. Pulls Builder's License After Worker Killed


Salon Staff
February 4, 2012 7:45AM (UTC)

MILPITAS, Calif. (AP) — State officials have suspended the license of the builder of a Milpitas, Calif., home where a carpenter was buried alive last weekend.

The Contractors State License Board said Friday that it suspended the general building contractor license of US-Sino Investment Inc. because the company had failed to comply with state workers' compensation insurance laws.

Advertisement:

The board says though licensed contractors are required to carry workers' compensation insurance for all employees, US-Sino Investment had an exemption claiming it had no employees.

Carpenter Raul Zapata died Saturday when he was buried in a 12-foot trench at the worksite.

Earlier this week, officials with the California Occupation Health and Safety Administration said the company lacked a proper permit for its work on the 5,800-square-foot home.

Milpitas officials issued a stop-work order three days before the accident because of concerns over a rain-soaked hillside.


Salon Staff

MORE FROM Salon Staff



Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •