Electric Cigarette Explodes In Fla Man's Mouth


Salon Staff
February 15, 2012 11:18PM (UTC)

PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) — A fire official says an electric cigarette exploded in a Florida man's mouth, severely burning his face and knocking out some of his front teeth.

North Bay Fire Department Fire Chief Butch Parker says it appears the cigarette's battery exploded while the man was smoking Monday night. The chief likened it to a bottle rocket going off in the man's mouth. He also lost part of his tongue.

Advertisement:

Parker says the man had been using electric cigarettes to help him quit smoking.

Authorities don't know what model cigarette it was.

The victim is being treated at a Mobile, Ala., burn unit.


Salon Staff

MORE FROM Salon Staff

BROWSE SALON.COM
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR

Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access

Click Here
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address

•••


Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •