The Newtown massacre, which left 20 elementary school children and six adults dead, took only five minutes. New details emerging from investigations into the Sandy Hook shooting this week revealed that shooter Adam Lanza fired 154 bullets from a Bushmaster .223-model rifle and a final bullet, fired from a Glock 10mm handgun, to take his own life.
Prosecutors Thursday made other details from the investigation public, including information from searches carried out on the shooter's home and car. As Salon noted, details about Lanza collecting articles on previous mass shootings had already been leaked to the press by an anonymous member of the investigative team. Key details officially released Thursday, noted by the AP, include:
- Lanza was found dead in the school wearing a bulletproof vest and military-style clothing.
- A loaded 12-gauge shotgun was found in the glove compartment of the Honda Civic Lanza drove to the school with two magazines containing 70 rounds of Winchester 12-gauge shotgun rounds.
- Police said they found a smashed computer hard drive, a gaming console and a gun safe in Lanza's bedroom.
- Investigators found an extensive array of article articles on other shootings in Lanza's room.
- In a bedroom closet, they found ear plugs, a handwritten note regarding ammunition and magazines, paperwork on guns and a metal bayonet.
- In a top drawer of a filing cabinet, investigators found paper targets. In a duffel bag, they found ear and eye protection, binoculars, numerous paper targets and Lanza's NRA certificate.
- Police found numerous knives, including samurai swords.